Home / Info / People / Bells / History / Archives / News / Peals / Quarters / Resources / Gallery / Links / Sitemap / Members


History

The foundations of the original church were laid in 1877
and William Smith of Hallam Head gave a peal of eight bells
cast by James Barwell, a bell founder from Birmingham. 

Eight years after the church was built,
the Fire of New Year 1887,  
  conpletely destroyed the body of the church,
but the tower, spire and bells survived. 

The words to the right are
inscribed on a plaque
on the wall inside the church porch:-

The church was rebuilt within 2 years.
"The original Church was erected by
the late John Newton Mappin Esqr.
of Birchlands in this parish
Opened in April 24th 1879
Destroyed by fire Jany 2nd 1887
 
The Church was rebuilt under the 
supervision of A. C. Tweedie M. A. vicar
H. Chalmer & R Colver churchwardens
and reopened Sept 9th 1888
 
This tablet is erected by a
grateful congregation"

Photo: Ranmoor Tower

 
 
The Church of St John the Evangelist, Ranmoor, is now a Grade II* listed building
See Church of St John on British Listed Buildings website

Further Details: Historical Notes

Historical News and Articles Index

Go back to Homepage