St. John’s Church,
Ranmoor ~ Sheffield .

The eight bells in this tower were recast, two trebles
added, and a new frame and ringing gear installed
by Gillett & Johnston Ltd.

The new Ring of Ten was dedicated by the
Lord Bishop of Sheffield on 31st March 1934

No.

Note

Inscriptions

Cwts

Qrs.

Lbs.

1

A

This bell was added to the original peal of
eight by the Sheffield and District Society of
Changeringers in memory of Sam Thomas in 1934

4

1

4

2

G

Ditto.        Ditto.

4

1

12

3

F

May God grant prosperity to the Church and Parish
 of Ranmoor

4

3

9

4

E

Praise God in His Holiness.
Praise Him in His Power:

4

3

12

5

D

When we join our cheerful sound
Let love and loyalty abound.

5

0

15

6

C

All ye people that hear us ring,
Be faithful to your God and Queen.

5

3

21

7

Bb

This Peal and Church are dedicated to St. John the
Evangelist.      C.M.Gibbs Architect, Sheffield

7

0

17

8

A

This peal of bells hung and fittings by James Shaw and
Son under superintendence of J.R.Cordingley of Bradford.

8

2

0

9

G

The Church is the gift of John Newton Mappin Esq. 
Birchlands, Sheffield

11

1

18

10

F

This peal of 8 bells presented to Ran Moor Church by
William Smith Esq. of Fulwood and Hallamshire Works 
Sheffield.  James Barwell, Founder, Birmingham, 1878
The original peal of eight bells was recast in 1934 by 
subscriptions from the Parishioners.
H.C.Foster. Vicar.

16

1

5

   

“Gillett & Johnston, Croydon” is also cast on No.s 1, 2 & 10 bells,
with the addition of “Recast” and ‘1934’ on Nos. 3 to 9.

72

3

1

The Rev. H.C.Foster, M. A.  ~           ~ Vicar

            Mr G. A. Pryor   ~

            Mr W. L. Gray   ~

            Mr H.I. Potter (deputy)                Churchwardens

Gillett & Johnston Ltd.

Bellfounders & Clockmakers

Croydon

EWB

Goto top of page
G&J hand illuminated 1934 bell details
Go back to Homepage