TRIBUTE TO A FALLEN RINGER.


Ringing World Vol 14, Iss 447, p435,

 27 September 1919


UNVEILING CEREMONY AT SHEFFIELD.
  An interesting little ceremony was performed in the ringing chamber of St John's Ranmoor, Sheffield, on Saturday, Sept 27th when Mrs. Nicholls, wife of the Vicar the Rev. G. R. Lee Nicholl, unveiled in the presence of the Vicar and churchwarden (Mr. Tindall) and numerous ringers and friends, a handsome brass tablet in memory of the late Mr. Arthur Ward, of the Ranmoor company, who gave his life for his country in the great war.

  A well-struck half-muffled peal of Bob Major was rung previous to the ceremony by some of his ringing colleagues, including his brother Mr. Frank Ward. Another brother, Mr. Maurice Ward, was to have taken part, but was prevented from doing so by the railway strike. The memorial, a handsome piece of brasswork executed by a relative of one of the band, was veiled by Union Jack.

  The proceedings were opened with appropriate prayer by the Vicar who then briefly referred to the object of the gathering, to the loss sustained by the company in the death of Mr. Ward, who was held in much esteem, and who gave great promise as a ringer, he then called on Mrs. Nicholls to unveil the tablet, which she did reading the inscription as below:—
picture: Arthur Ward Memorial To the Glory of God,
and in affectionate memory of
Arthur Ward, private
14th York and Lancaster Regt.,
killed in action at Arras (Gavrelle),
July 1st, 1917, aged 24 years.
Erected by
fellow bellringers of St. John’s, Ranmoor .
 
In proposing a vote of thanks to. Mrs. Nicholls, who had performed the ceremony at the unanimous request of the local company, Mr. Cockey referred to the fortunate position in which the band were placed in having the interest and co-operation, of the Vicar, and Mrs Nicholls and the churchwardens, and at the pleasure it gave them to have Mr Lee Nicholls among them as a practical ringer and at the progress he was making in the art.

  In proposing a vote of thanks to the ringing visitors for their assistance, and to all those present for their interest, the Vicar referred to the pleasure that it gave his wife and himself to co-operate with the ringers, to his keen interest in the art, to the high place which the Ranmoor ringers had always held among the Exercise, to the great difficulties with which they had had to contend during the war, and to his belief in their ability to regain their old standard. He concluded by asking those present to stand in silent prayer in memory of the fallen in the war.

  After the ceremony, the bells were again rung half-muffled and some good touches of Double Norwich, Bob Major and Grandsire Triples were brought round, in which the Vicar and members of the Cathedral, Ranmoor. Norton and St. Marie's (R.C.) towers took part.

  Thanks are due to Messrs. C. Haynes and J. Osgathorpe for making all the arrangements in connection with the memorial.


End of Article

  RW14:0447:0435

See also Article on Arthur Ward's Centenary
And also Centenary Quarter Peal

 Back to Historical Articles Index

 Go back to Homepage