Bishop's Prayers in Tower at Ranmoor Church


Picture: The Dedication of the new bells, 1934

The Sheffield Daily Telegraph,
Mon 2nd April 1934

  The Bishop of Sheffield, speaking dedicatory prayers in the belfry of Ranmoor Church, Sheffield, on Saturday afternoon, was heard by the crowded congregation through loud-speakers.

  The bells had been recast, two new ones added, and the new ring was dedicated by the Bishop, who had ascended the tower with the churchwardens and others.

  The church had been decorated for Easter with white flowers and arum lilies. The Bishop preached from a flower-bedecked pulpit.

  He spoke of the meaning of bells, of old customs. One custom, which had unfortunately died out in many places, was the Sanctus bell during Holy Communion. The bell was now used inside the church and thus had lost its value as a message to those who were unable to attend.

  Referring to the wedding bells, the Bishop said that here parishioners were shown that marriage was a solemn and sacred thing. Then, again, there were few things more touching than a muffled peal. The passing knell had been discontinued in some places.

Teams represented

  Those who took part in the ceremony included the Provost of Sheffield (Dr. A. C. E. Jarvis) and the Rural Dean (Canon Bracewell). In the procession were Lieut.-Colonel Wever and the churchwardens, Mr. G. A. Pryor, Mr. W. L. Gray, and Mr. H. I. Potter (deputy).

  The ringers represented included the Sheffield Cathedral, St. Marie's, Handsworth, Norton, Chesterfield, Bolsover, Rawmarsh, Rotherham, Ecclesfield, Eastwood, Staveley, Bolsterstone, South Anston, Beighton, Worksop, and the local company.

  The two new bells were dedicated to Sam Thomas, who became associated with Ranmoor bells in 1896, and was captain for many years. Thomas was one of the early founders of the Sheffield District Association of Change-ringers, and did much to promote surprise ringing in Yorkshire. He died in 1924.

  At the conclusion of the service, the bells burst forth into their first changes. All the ringers had rung with Mr. Thomas.

End of article


 Back to Historical News Index

 Go back to Homepage