Centenary celebrated at Ranmoor 1988
On the morning of Sunday 2 January 1887,
the church caretaker Thomas Leighton arrived at 9.20am to prepare for
the day’s services, and on entering the church he at once detected a
smell of smoke, and found the organ on fire. Despite prompt action to
alert the fire brigade, they were unable to prevent the destruction of
the main body of the church.
The tower and spire alone were saved by the action of Superintendent Pound of the fire service, who by taking a hose up onto the belfry was able to prevent the fire taking hold on the tower.
Thus, on September 9, 1888, less than ten years after the completion of the original building, a new church was consecrated for worship. The existing tower was incorporated into the new design and the bells, which were undamaged by the fire, continued in service until 1934 when they were recast and augmented into the present ring of ten.
Late in 1987 the idea of ringing a peal to
mark the centenary of the re-consccration was first discussed, and
shortly afterwards an exchange of letters with Canon Kenneth Felstcad
revealed that the tower peal total stood at 98. With a visiting peal
band already booked for the early summer, the opportunity existed, for
ringing the 100th peal in the tower to mark the centenary.